Thursday, April 2, 2015

A to Z: B is for Beyond

For A to Z 2015 I will be posting flash fiction, all random, all the crazy musings of a crazy mind. Hope you like them.


B is for Beyond

“Are you aware of the risk you’re taking?”

The woman nodded, eyes cast down to the floor. She knew well the risks; better than anyone.

As the minutes lengthened she turned and left. She knew she would never get his blessing; his silence was the most she could hope for, and all that she got.

No matter, she thought to herself. I didn’t need him.

But that was a lie and she knew it; no one went to the outer rim and returned. Everyone knew that. She could’ve used him.

The desert lay open before her, ending at the end. She made her way towards it.

That night as the suns sank into the abyss, it was closer; she was closer. She knew it wouldn’t be long now. Soon she would find her son, or join him. Either way, she would know.

A figure moved in the distance. The woman lifted her hand to shade her eyes. She’d heard mirages were common. There were those who had almost and then returned. That was her hope for her son, for her.

But like her hope, the mirage faded. Deep inside she was not surprised. She knew her son; she knew he would not be of those who would turn back. If he meant to go, he would be gone.

The knowledge she had been searching for filled her: Her son was gone, truly he was; if he wasn’t he would have come to stop her. If he was there, he would’ve wanted her to go on, to live.

With her frame straight and her legs strong, the woman turned to go back to the village, full of all the hope and despair due her.
 
-Mel

12 comments:

  1. Hi there - I know this is not the ending ... right? Say it ain't so! As an optimist, I'm going to guess (and hope) she is reunited with her son. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one is sad. I could feel her despair. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought she was going to keep on going.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You captured the sadness and despair. Will there be a happy ending tomorrow?

    ReplyDelete
  5. "But like her hope the mirage faded." that was my favorite line and as a momma myself I couldn't help but feel some of her heartbreak. Nice job Mel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicely done! :) Great goal for the A to Z Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, that's heartbreaking. I got a sense of how desolate the desert was.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww man I had a feeling I knew what was going on as the story unfolded and part of me was hoping I was wrong. How scary that this flash piece...though fiction...rings true for many who have lost a child or loved one. On a brighter note, I like how you describe your theme as being crazy musings from a crazy mind. Darn...if only I could come up with something near like that, lol.


    ~Nicole
    A to Z Challenge Co-Host
    The Madlab Post

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so much of a different feel than the work I've read from you thus far. I'm liking the surprise! Your description is always so great. Looking forward to reading all of the great work that comes from your fingers this month! Elle @ Erratic Project Junkie

    ReplyDelete