Monday, April 6, 2015

A to Z: E is for Escape


For A to Z 2015 I will be posting flash fiction, all random, all the crazy musings of a crazy mind. Hope you like them.
 
E is for Escape
The girl sat on the train with her back pressed up tight against the seat. There were four others on the seat with her, the seat made for two. The girl knew none of them. Actually, that is not true. She knew they were escaping, like her. That is all anyone need know in times such as these. What told her, you may ask? Simple: They were silent.
The train, however, was not. It rattled and rolled down tracks laid centuries ago, by others looking for their own kind of escape. The bell sounded as the train came to a stop. She stole a quick glance to the boys to her right. Would they be brave enough to step off? Would she?
The bell sounded again once, twice, and the train began rolling. None of them had moved, and then one of them did. One of the boys darted out the nearest door.
The girl watched out her window to see his fate. Those next to her didn’t dare, and for good reason. The guards had him already, one on each arm.
The girl looked straight forward again. She had known that wasn’t her stop. 
 
-Mel
 
 


16 comments:

  1. This story builds in intensity, I went from a casual reader to grinding my teeth by the end of it, and then, just that one line at the end 'She had known that wasn't her stop.' oddly made me relax just a little.
    Sophie
    Sophie's Thoughts & Fumbles
    FB3X
    Wittegen Press

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, interesting. Makes me wonder what, exactly, is going on, and what will happen to them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another excellent flash fiction piece! Good work!

    Precious Monsters

    ReplyDelete
  4. Makes me want to know what she is trying to escape from, what kind of life... Whatever it is, it doesn't sound free.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh oh! What great tension and an ominous atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am biting my nails. I hope she can escape!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am biting my nails. I hope she can escape!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG... chills, Mel. I got chills.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This one is a super teaser! I'm so curious as to where this is going!! Elle @ Erratic Project Junkie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rather scary! Have patience and wait for the right stop.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "...rattled and rolled down tracks laid centuries ago, by others looking for their own kind of escape."

    My line of the day award goes to you, Mel.

    Intriguing story.... where *was* her stop, I wonder...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent! Dark and somber, but well written.
    Life & Faith in Caneyhead
    I am Ensign B ~ One of Tremp's Troops with the
    A to Z Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  13. Again, I really want to read more!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Of all your A-Z entries thus far, this one is the most intriguing to me. You should really develop this one!

    ReplyDelete