Thursday, April 9, 2015

A to Z: H is for Hope


For A to Z 2015 I will be posting flash fiction, all random, all the crazy musings of a crazy mind. Hope you like them.

 
H is for Hope
Winter had ended. Finally. There might still be snow on the ground, but no matter; the sky was blue, and not a winder blue. This morning it was a real blue. Summer blue.
The cows didn’t believe me when I told them; mother, neither. She just saw sky, same as we’d all seen for the past three years. She didn’t notice the difference.
She just handed me the same ol’ bucket, expecting me to do the same ol’ chores, like nothing had changed. And I went, thinking maybe it hadn’t.
There ice was just as thick in the trough, the sheep just as ornery. With a grumble almost as loud as theirs, I slid the barn door closed. That’s when I saw it: a tiny white flower pushed up through the snow.
 
-Mel

10 comments:

  1. Such a good use of the prompt 'hope'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another day, another well writing piece!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'v noticed how the blue of the sky changes from winter to spring/summer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh yes, that first bud of spring, so precious. One must have one's eyes open to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that she didn't give up despite what her mother or the cows thought and was rewarded with the little flower and the sure sign of spring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I grew up on a farm and I was always looking for those signs of spring. Usually it was the geese flying north that convinced me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the imagery of the tiny white flower pushing through the snow :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The imagery is perfect. Tiny flowers can be amazing strong.

    ReplyDelete