Wednesday, April 15, 2015

A to Z: M is for Marriage

For A to Z 2015 I will be posting flash fiction, all random, all the crazy musings of a crazy mind. Hope you like them.
M is for Marriage*


The man shifted his tie, loosening it, before finally pulling it over his head. It had been a long day, too long. His eyes went to the bathroom door, closed tight. And it’s not even close to being over.
The water from the shower cut off just a second before the door opened. His wife stood there, naked, but not for him. She went right to the closet, closing the door behind her, like she didn’t see him, like he wasn’t there.
He sat on the edge of the bed and waited.
The woman who came from the closet wasn’t naked anymore, but she still wasn’t for him. Although that time she acknowledged he was there. She came up to where he was on the bed and slipped the tie back over his head, tightening it, like a choker.
“There. That’s better.”

-Mel

 
*I’m happily married. I promise. To prove it, here is my post for M is for Marriage from A to Z 2013

 
M is for marriage
 
“Did you remember to get the mail?” I hope that credit card statement isn’t in there. That’s the last thing I need to see right now.
“Nothing today, dear.” Wish you’d stop worrying so. We always make do alright.
“And I don’t suppose you remembered to pick up the milk like I asked you to.” Even that’s more expensive than it should be. Why I remember when you could buy a gallon of milk for under a dollar. Now it’s four times that.
“It’s already in the fridge.” Look at those eyes; they haven’t changed a bit in all these years. So beautiful...
“And what are you smiling at?” Foolish old man, but he’s all mine.
“You.” That’s right. I’m yours.
                                                                                                 
 
                                                                         

18 comments:

  1. I like that you did this from two angles. That first one is weird and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember that second one! Much better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa. I feel bad for the guy in this first one. Divorce her! Come on, divorce her! lol I like the second one for its romance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marriage, it can be a little bit of both scenarios.
    Play off the Page

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Great writing in both, but I like the second one best because I love happy endings. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two sides of one coin. Bitterness to love. great writing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now you have me wondering what kind of arrangement set up the first story.

    The second one....:D

    Sophie
    Sophie's Thoughts & Fumbles
    FB3X
    Wittegen Press

    ReplyDelete
  8. The second one sounds like my house much more than the first. Both are great writing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. why would she let him see her naked, odd.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, that second one is a lot happier. Neat contrast.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I know why she let him see her naked... He's lost her to another and this is what he's lost...

    Nice... and the way she tightens the tie... I agree with Chrys... time to dial 1 877 DIVORCE

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's quite the contrast, Mel. I'm thinking couple #1 is not going to make it to the place couple #2 occupies.

    Sia McKye Over Coffee

    ReplyDelete
  13. Both stories are about surrender. A meaningful contrast.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Both hold an element of truth but I'm an old softie so I like the second one better.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your post perfectly reflects the two-sided coin of marriage.

    Scribbles From Jenn - Visiting from the A to Z Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  16. Change is what the first couple needs, and in the second, time. But both have strong undertones of melancholy....At least that is the emotion I feel the most when I read them. Great writing as always.

    ReplyDelete