Tuesday, April 21, 2015

A to Z: R is for Real

For A to Z 2015 I will be posting flash fiction, all random, all the crazy musings of a crazy mind. Hope you like them.

R is for Real

 
Rachel’s finger grazed his back; just a touch, but it was enough, enough to know things were about to get real.

“What do you want from me?” he asked, not turning to face her, not yet.

She leaned in, until her mouth rested lightly on his ear. “You should know.”

His eyes closed; she was right. He knew. “And then what? You leave?”

Her silence answered more than any words could. She would take. She would leave. Again. But did he have to let her? Her lips stayed on his ear, waiting.

He turned to face her.

Her eyes widened with the unexpected gesture. She was being herself, she was being real, but she’d never expected that same favor from him, and for good reason. He’d never been before.

He let out a measured breath. “I don’t think so. Not this time.”

That’s new, she thought as she pulled back, as the mask covered what was real.

He held up his left hand. For the first time she saw the ring there.

He shrugged. “I couldn’t wait forever.”

What was left of her retreated to the background, carefully hidden behind the frost and ice. “My loss.”

He wisely stayed silent, as she quickly made her escape.

 

-Mel

11 comments:

  1. Hi, Mel,

    Nicely written! A very well played scene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never keep a good man waiting.

    Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah for him. Too bad his wife was not his first choice. I feel a bit sad for her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice. A whole story in that compact space.

    P.S. I really don't like the white print on grey background in the comments section!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice. Too bad she couldn't stay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with KAT, I'm sad for his wife and happy she escaped!

    You can find me here:
    ClarabelleRant

    ReplyDelete
  7. Although she's a user, you made me sorry for Rachel.

    ReplyDelete