Friday, May 6, 2016

Ramblings about Politics

 
Today I'm going to discuss something I usually avoid: politics. Now, before your eyes glaze over I promise here and now I'm not going to talk about any individual candidates, it's more the process I'm focused on. I live in New York, so primaries usually don't mean anything by the time they get to me. And now they don't mean anything for the states that are left. Is that fair? Why this whole different states vote at different times thing and please, oh please, someone explain to me why we have delegates instead of a popular vote. Now, I'm sure there is a political science professor out there who will go into great detail why such things were begun, but is it relevant for today? And if it isn't relevant in this modern age of, you know, phones instead of telegrams, why do we do it? Just a thought.
Anyone else sick of doing things just because that's how they've always been done?
 

4 comments:

  1. I wonder if it's because back in the day, the candidates had to travel to those states, so it was staggered for travel time? I don't get why popular vote doesn't matter either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the delegates are important, along with the popular vote. There should be some sort of mingling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fact that someone can, in the general election, win the popular vote and still LOOSE THE ELECTION because of the way our Electoral College system is set up is an even bigger issue, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems it so difficult to change things in government. The primaries are a good example. And the millions and millions spent on political campaigns is staggering and so wasteful.

    ReplyDelete